Hey how's it going!?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd say wassup!

An avid but equally awkward traveller with social anxiety (yeah I know it's a weird combo) - who likes to daydream and zone out to music a lot!

I look forward to hearing all your stories, tips and experience.

GH0STP03T (Leon)

kelbel

kelbel

Hi Leon,

welcome to the forum! Great that you enjoy traveling and your social anxiety doesn't hold you back with that :) I'm going abroad later this year for the first time in 13 years - big step for me but i'm actually looking forward to it. I've also set myself the challenge of going to Machu Picchu for my 40th (I'm sure that isn't spelt correctly, but I'm also lucky this is a forum as I'm just as bad at trying to pronounce it lol!). I've always said to myself I will know when i'm totally over my agoraphobia when i'm sitting on top of that mountain!

Where's next on your list for travels?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Hi Leon,

welcome to the forum! Great that you enjoy traveling and your social anxiety doesn't hold you back with that :) I'm going abroad later this year for the first time in 13 years - big step for me but i'm actually looking forward to it. I've also set myself the challenge of going to Machu Picchu for my 40th (I'm sure that isn't spelt correctly, but I'm also lucky this is a forum as I'm just as bad at trying to pronounce it lol!). I've always said to myself I will know when i'm totally over my agoraphobia when i'm sitting on top of that mountain!

Where's next on your list for travels?
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the welcome.

13 years! That's a long time, but you'll definitely enjoy yourself that's for sure. Machu Picchu is definitely on my bucket list too (well most of Peru is to be honest) and so is Japan. Both of these countries fascinate me in terms of their culture and people. My next stop i think will either be Portugal or Croatia maybe, who knows?

Good luck on your way up the mountain I'm sure you will make it!!

Mark

Mark

Jamaica has always been a dream of mine - ever since I saw the movie Cocktail :) One day, one day ;)

J

Jade

Hi Leon :). You said that you like to zone out to music a lot I was just wondering if you find this a good coping technique when suffering with social anxiety? A few years ago I didn't like to go out on my own much but when I had to I used to stick in my headphones and it made me oblivious to the people around me because I was so engaged in the music I was listening to. Hope that makes sense, let me know if you do that or if its something you’d like to try.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

This was definitely a coping method at one point, but nowadays I find it's only a partially effective for me. When I'm feeling anxious now I find the music just jumbles up my thoughts even more so - that's not to say it's not effective for a lot of people though. What I'm slowing doing now is weaning (for lack of a better word) myself off the amount of music consumption in public areas and trying to intake more of the natural noise.

J

Jade

Yes I think it is good to try and embrace the natural noise as your facing my phobia head on which is effectively more healthy then trying to ignore it by playing music. I always believe that it is better to try and face your phobias but if music does work for an individual then keeping an Ipod or a phone with music on and a pair of headphones might be a good idea just incase, or even act as a safety net because then you will know you have that there ready if the natural noise gets too much for you. Sometimes even just knowing you have a back up option ( the headphones and music) can have a calming effect.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

The more I embrace 'natural sounds' the less I'll rely on music (I hope). But I hear (no pun intended) what you're saying about having a back up option if you should ever need it.

J

Jade

That’s great your learning to embrace the natural sounds :).
As i said it’s more a psychological comfort of having a backup that is useful regardless if you ever need it or not. But for somebody who does need some sort of backup plan I’d suggest trying to ease yourself from it by starting small. For instance maybe try going to your corner shop or up the road without it then continue to venture out further to completely wean yourself off it.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Thanks Jade, I think somewhere down the line I disconnected from nature in general to be honest. All the technology and distractions we have nowadays (not to mention the fact we live concrete jungles) had made me forget the simple pleasures in life. Anyway, I definitely agree that small steps are the way forward.

J

Jade

Thanks Jade, I think somewhere down the line I disconnected from nature in general to be honest. All the technology and distractions we have nowadays (not to mention the fact we live concrete jungles) had made me forget the simple pleasures in life. Anyway, I definitely agree that small steps are the way forward.
It’s easy to do Ghost, especially if you live in a city. Technology is a wonderful and extremely useful add on it our life but we must remember just that it is an add on not how we should define ourselves or the world. I must admit I do find myself going back to nature a lot but that could just be my personality because I’ve always loved nature and animals. I mention this because it is relevant to those of us suffering with anxiety or those suffering with depression even. If I’m feeling particularly anxious or having a down day I’ll go sit and just watch or even interact with nature. It is very calming and can distract you from your problems even if it’s just for 5 minutes of your day.