Have you ever come across Nosophobia, fear of a disease?

F

Fightingback

Apparently Nosophobia is a fear of contracting the specific disease. This is one often mentioned online but not something I have come across myself. Has anyone suffered from Nosophobia?

Second thoughts, is this similar to a fear of catching germs during the pandemic? Something we will all have experienced!

H

Helprequired

I think we will see a lot of people developing this kind of phobia especially the way the media has heightened anxiety and concerns. Have you ever noticed how the media focus on one particular subject, build up the hype and concern, and then move to the next one? Only a few weeks ago nurses were headline news in the fight against the coronavirus but now they are rarely heard. That despite the fact they are still fighting on the frontline and giving their lives for the cause. The media has an awful lot of control over our society and can, if left unregulated, cause huge anxiety within communities.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think we can link this one directly to the coronaphobia term which is trending on Twitter and causing many people to be concerned. Some people may argue it is not sensible to place a "label" on such an issue but only by placing the label on the problem can we discuss this in one place. The reality is that many many people will suffer this phobia from varying degrees. Is there anybody out there who doesn't feel at least an element of trepidation about stepping back into our "normal world"?