Does beating one phobia help you beat others?

L

LynnyB

My experience suggests that those who have a phobia are more likely to have more than one. In the past I found that once I was able to gain "control" of one phobia this actually helped me to tackle all of the others in my life. Has anybody else had this type of experience? Like me, did beating your phobia give you more confidence in general life?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This is something that I think the site should look at further. Firstly, I think there is evidence to suggest that beating one phobia will give you the confidence to beat many others. Whether they disappear "forever" is another matter but taking some degree of control can be a huge help.

H

Helprequired

I read somewhere that while phobias are very different the way to control them is very similar. It all starts in the mind and then the body and then you will start to regain control. I think it is unfair to suggest that phobias are "in your head" but I also think that the recovery process starts in your head.

L

LynnyB

Are there any examples of people who have managed to control a number of phobias after "cracking" the control of one? I am intrigued by the way in which the mind works and how you actually gain control from something which effectively starts in your head and then becomes physical.

H

Helprequired

The mind is a very powerful organ and one which literally has a "mind of its own". I definitely believe that if you can take back control of your mind in some way, rather than it sometimes being "independent" of your mind, you have the best chance of beating phobias, anxiety and similar issues.