Does anyone have any tips about a fear of the dentist?

Mark

Mark

I would guess my fear of the dentist is more a “fear” than a phobia with either way I would appreciate any tips and advice about beating this fear. More often than not I’m forced to go to the dentist when the pain I’m experiencing is greater than my fear. Can anybody else relate to that thought pattern?

Mark

Mark

I fear:-

Needles
The pain
The noise of drilling

and I can literally have a sleepless night or two just before a visit. It quite literally gets to the stage where the pain of a tooth in need of work has to be greater than my fear of the dentist if that makes sense?

Craig

Craig

This is anticipatory and is not a phobia as described in other posts differentiating between the two.

Needles, Andy has covered in that thread.
The noise of drilling - does not have to be associated with negative ideas or outcomes.
The pain. - if you are in pain already and willing to go, then what is there to fear regarding that.?

It is a dislike, a fear which many have yet one which can be controlled. As you have already gone before.

Craig.

Mark

Mark

Thanks for all of the comments - sometimes good to see things in the cold light of day, helps put them in perspective.

Craig

Craig

It is better to have it seen to and be free of that pain and gain a new experience in the process.

Craig.

Andy

Andy

you have to ask yourself is it the dentist youre fearful of or is it certain elements of what may happen there?

we've already discussed needles, and briefly touched on the idea of expectation of pain when told that it'll hurt, in that other thread. If we apply that to the trip to the dentists then we're a huge step towards a more relaxed attitude towards a trip to the dentists.