Do you have a fear of animals?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Scientists believe that many of our phobias can be traced back to early childhood and very often to the attitudes and the phobias suffered by our parents. Can you trace your fear of animals back to one or more experiences or is it something which has emerged without any outside influences?

J

Jade

I can certainly pin point where my phobia of beetles originated from and I have to agree with the statement that it is usually something that stems down from childhood. My first memory of a beetle is being in little school and some boy had a big black stag beetle in a match box and started chasing me around the school field with it. I remember running for my life screaming so its easy to see how I can make that connection with my phobia of beetles. But then I suppose I could ask why I felt I needed to run away from the beetle in the first place? I must have developed a phobia of beetles before that incident to be so petrified of being chased with it.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I have weird fear of fish haha. When I was younger my mum.took me to the sealife centre and I was really enjoying it until we came across a fish that had managed to crack through its tank (believe or not). It was hanging half in and half out and it's eyes really freaked me out. I remember putting my back against the tank on the opposite side and slowly creeping past. Ever since that experience I've never liked fish, but I'll still eat them battered and fried haha.

J

Jade

I can certainly pin point where my phobia of beetles originated from and I have to agree with the statement that it is usually something that stems down from childhood. My first memory of a beetle is being in little school and some boy had a big black stag beetle in a match box and started chasing me around the school field with it. I remember running for my life screaming so its easy to see how I can make that connection with my phobia of beetles. But then I suppose I could ask why I felt I needed to run away from the beetle in the first place? I must have developed a phobia of beetles before that incident to be so petrified of being chased with it.
I thought I’d share my experience I had yesterday. It was a nice day so I thought I’d go and have my lunch on the grass. Usually I’m very reluctant to sit on grass for too long because of beetles but I managed to block it out my head largely to do with a little bit of exposure therapy I’ve been giving myself ( I’ve been looking at close up of beetles and reading about them)As fate would have it I got up after my lunch only to see a black beetle scurrying around the grass where I’d been sitting :eek:. Ok I did scream, grabbed my stuff and ran but afterwards it did occur to me I wasn’t as scared as I usually get when I see a beetle let alone be sat next to one! I’m wondering did my exposure therapy really work? Or was it the fact I was sat next to the beetle and it didn’t go on me or harm me and my mind subconsciously made note of that? What do you think?

J

Jade

I have weird fear of fish haha. When I was younger my mum.took me to the sealife centre and I was really enjoying it until we came across a fish that had managed to crack through its tank (believe or not). It was hanging half in and half out and it's eyes really freaked me out. I remember putting my back against the tank on the opposite side and slowly creeping past. Ever since that experience I've never liked fish, but I'll still eat them battered and fried haha.
Wow the sight of that itself sounds quite horrific. You said you don’t mind eating fish though, so is it a certain fish your afraid of? There are some very strange looking ones especially at the bottom of the sea and they even give me the creeps.