Do we all have a degree of fear of needles?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder whether to a certain extent we all have a level of fear of needles although many people seem to experience extreme reactions to the mere thought of needles. Personally I dislike needles but as long as I do not watch them going into my skin is not too bad. Perhaps someone with a fear of needles would like to explain exactly what goes through their mind and how they feel?

kelbel

kelbel

I am not bothered about needles at all, but one of my best friends has a massive phobia of them - to the extent that if he has to have anything done at the dentist he chooses NOT to have an injection first and would rather put up with the pain!!

Mark

Mark

I don't really suffer from a fear of needles although I have to say I don't really like injections. However, ignoring pain relief for things such as dental treatment could make the situation worse? If by not taking the painkilling injection this leads to actual physical pain does this not lead to a vicious circle where subconsciously you even more strongly relate injections to pain?

J

Jade

I don't really suffer from a fear of needles although I have to say I don't really like injections. However, ignoring pain relief for things such as dental treatment could make the situation worse? If by not taking the painkilling injection this leads to actual physical pain does this not lead to a vicious circle where subconsciously you even more strongly relate injections to pain?
I think this is a great subject to touch on- psychological associations on painful experiences. However I don’t quite agree with the theory that you stated but instead the reverse. I’d think that the pain you’d endure during dental work because you refuse to have a pain killing injection would make you more likely to try and brave the needle if you associate the pain you experienced with the absence of a needle. This is just a theory as I don’t personally suffer with a fear of needles or injections so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Mark

Mark

If I can make a comment here, as someone who had a fear of dentists when I was younger I had to balance the pain of none-treatment against the pain I associated with dental work. Only when the physical pain was worse than the perceived pain of going to the dentist did I actually make the appointment. Does that make sense?

J

Jade

If I can make a comment here, as someone who had a fear of dentists when I was younger I had to balance the pain of none-treatment against the pain I associated with dental work. Only when the physical pain was worse than the perceived pain of going to the dentist did I actually make the appointment. Does that make sense?
That makes sense to me as a few years ago I started to become obsessional with my teeth. I’d be gaining reassurance about my teeth all the time from friends and family, I’d constantly be looking in the mirror and checking them to see if I could see any cavities ( Although obviously I didn't have a clue what i was looking for) and I’d even check them all individually to see if they were wobbly. I was convinced I had something wrong with my teeth and would lay awake at night worrying they were going to fall out. Eventually it became too much psychologically and decided I’d rather brave the dentist regardless of how scared I was of them then torture myself with the worry. Turned out my teeth were absolutely fine and all I needed was a filling.

Mark

Mark

This is the perfect example of phobias, where the fear of something can be a million times worse than the reality. Why does our mind play such cruel tricks on us?

J

Jade

This is the perfect example of phobias, where the fear of something can be a million times worse than the reality. Why does our mind play such cruel tricks on us?
Yes and I think that could be a very good approach in helping yourself overcome your phobia. I know it can be easier said then done but trying this method could be really useful. The mind is a very powerful thing and I think sometimes we coax ourselves into a state where we imagine an alternate reality where everything is 10 times more scary then it is. It would be interesting to know if pessimism plays a big part in phobia.

There is a great saying by Franklin Roosevelt that I think applies perfectly here:

“The only thing to fear is fear itself”

Mark

Mark

I will give you a perfect example of that. My dog Mindy (the one in the picture :)) was very ill this time last year and we feared we were going to lose her. She was tired all the time, not eating and hardly drinking so we took her to the vets. It turns out she has diabetes which is not perfect by any means for a person or an animal but my point is, we feared the worst as we didn't know what was happening. I have to inject her with insulin twice a day, she gets her walks and food at the same time each day but she is back to her old self and loving life again. Not a perfect scenario by any means but nothing compared to the fear of losing her - we learn to adapt when we know what is happening.

p.s. If that is not a picture of a dog content, relaxed and happy then I dont know what is (dont tell my wife she was on the couch though :))

J

Jade

I will give you a perfect example of that. My dog Mindy (the one in the picture :)) was very ill this time last year and we feared we were going to lose her. She was tired all the time, not eating and hardly drinking so we took her to the vets. It turns out she has diabetes which is not perfect by any means for a person or an animal but my point is, we feared the worst as we didn't know what was happening. I have to inject her with insulin twice a day, she gets her walks and food at the same time each day but she is back to her old self and loving life again. Not a perfect scenario by any means but nothing compared to the fear of losing her - we learn to adapt when we know what is happening.

p.s. If that is not a picture of a dog content, relaxed and happy then I dont know what is (dont tell my wife she was on the couch though :))
I'm glad she's back to her old self again and she's very lovely :)

Mark

Mark

Thanks Jade, she is a little star :)

This has made me wonder - is there a place for pets in the treatment of phobias? Anything which takes your mind off a phobia or lets you forget your anxiety issues for a few moments is well worth it?

J

Jade

Thanks Jade, she is a little star :)

This has made me wonder - is there a place for pets in the treatment of phobias? Anything which takes your mind off a phobia or lets you forget your anxiety issues for a few moments is well worth it?
I think so Mark and I’ve found a list that describes how pets and animals can help heal a number of problems in humans if anybody is interested:

http://www.apmhealth.com/blog/bid/386206/Pet-Therapy-7-Ways-Animals-Help-Humans-Heal

Animals truly are amazing creatures wouldn’t you all agree?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think in many ways we underestimate the power of pets and their impact upon human emotions. How many of us who have pets feel a wave of calmness coming over us when spending time with them?

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

I overcame mine when I trained in Hypnosis. I had a severe phobia of hospital needles. Very bad experience as a child. Now I'm relatively relaxed during any needles.

Mark

Mark

I am intrigued by hypnosis - does it kind of "rewire the brain" or is it a means of being able to relax, think rationally and put everything into perspective. (I know this is over simplification but you get the idea:))

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

I am intrigued by hypnosis - does it kind of "rewire the brain" or is it a means of being able to relax, think rationally and put everything into perspective. (I know this is over simplification but you get the idea:))
Hi Mark, Thanks for the message. As for relaxing? Its not always needed ;) Its very much a misconception / misnomer of hypnosis. I am trained in hypnotherapy and love talking about it :) As for rewiring, I merely say focusing your attention on a requirement so it becomes your reality. Merely looking at things differently. Also as for rationally, your response at that moment is rational, as its how you know how to react, however it may not be useful for you to react that way.

We merely look at different ways to approach that are more suitable ;).... Perspective? Most certainly, often its a lightbulb moment. I worked with someone for a spider phobia once, 2 weeks later she brought a dead one in a box and put a tarantula on her head....

Why?

She merely found a suitable way of coping with what was actually not a fear to have. She had merely learnt to react this way through experience :)

Hope that explains :)

Mark

Mark

Perfect - I had a fear of bleach for many years, I could not be any where near it. This came from my early years when mothers kept bleach away from kids as it is obviously dangerous.

While I never had any incidents with bleach I just could not be near it. Then I got involved in a shop and was helping clean the floor one day with water and bleach and without thinking I was using bleach. I then stood up and thought, why was I so scared of bleach for years? Simple, when I didnt think about it it didnt matter and I just got on with it - if I had stopped to think what I was doing then it would have been a different matter altogether.

Andy

Andy

Do we all have some degree of fear of needles?

Let's be honest, sticking a sharp point into our skin his hardly natural but do I have a fear? My body piercing would suggest otherwise, and I had to have some blood work done recently and sat watching the whole phlebotomy procedure.

Does this make me odd? Nah, I'm aware that I'm feel a slight sensation and that it'll be over in no time and that I'll quickly stop any bleeding.
Any anxiety may increase the sensation, especially as we're focused on it. Being told that it will hurt plants that thought into your mind, raising your expectation of pain.

Focus elsewhere and you'll hardly notice it (focus intently elsewhere and you'll not even notice it).

Craig

Craig

Perception is everything. Great reply Andy.

I had never had a needle until I was in my early 20s. I had people tell me it hurts and others said it didn't. I thought, what the hell and just went in. I found myself watching the whole procedure to take the blood and found it fascinating. There is no pain, just a mild sensation once the needle goes in yet nothing uncomfortable. If however I would have thought differently then the experience would have been very different indeed.

Craig.

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

I don't like needles - do I have a phobia, I dont think so - but as long as I look away I am fine. Sharp sensation then over in a few seconds. As you say perception is everything - we can build ourselves up into a state of panic. Then "fight or flight" kicks in and the situation can take on a whole different direction.