Do phobias impact your personal relationships?

F

Fightingback

For those of you who suffer from one or more phobias I would be interested to learn whether they have any impact on your personal relationships. Does it impact your relationship with your husband/wife/partner? What impact they have on the relationship with your children or extended family?

If you are lucky enough to have an understanding partner this can be a huge help going forward as you tackle your phobias. Firstly, and this is only my opinion, I think that once you have experienced a phobia it will never completely go away. However, you should be able to control it, feel the signs and take action where you need to.

If you have an understanding partner, talking fears and issues through with them can make you see things in a different light and be extremely useful. While not suggesting that phobias are in our heads, I think sometimes in an overanxious state the fear can escalate effectively out of control.

H

Helprequired

Unfortunately, I think any type of phobia or medical condition will to some extent have an impact on your personal relationships. It is how you and your partner/family adapter to this often changing environment which will determine the standard of living and life that you all have together. Historically I have suffered from panic attacks but now I know the signs, can take action to avert them and 99 times out of a hundred they are not a problem.

L

LynnyB

Unfortunately, whether physically or mentally there will be an impact on personal relationships when it comes to phobias. The key is learning to adapt to these changes as if they are approached correctly they can actually bring a couple close together. It also helps that the phobia sufferer has someone to talk to, someone who can see their problems and issues from the outside looking in rather than the inside looking out. If you sit down with a phobia sufferer and ask them what kind of help they need, the majority only need someone to talk to. Focus on your own can be a very lonely place…