Can mobile app cure of flying phobia?

T

TruckDriver

I am flying for a holiday next week and feel a bit scared to fly: every time I come to the airport, I am getting quite nervous. How do you think, is it possible to get rid of the fear completely? Do you have such experience? I’ve heard about SkyGuru app (https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/skyguru-aviaperelety-bez-straha/id1131150902?mt=8),which allegedly helps one to overcome flying phobia. According to the description in AppStore, the app explains every unusual sound and movement, which one faces during the flight, relying on the data, obtained from the Internet and phone sensors. Have you tried something like this? Is it helpful, in your opinion?

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

Hi Truckdriver, I have not heard of this App but would be very interested to learn what people think of it - does it work?

Andy

Andy

Ok, so you're going to sit there, on your phone, praying that the battery doesn't die mid flight, yes? And if I recall correctly, although you're permitted to use your phone in "airplane mode", you're still told to ensure it's totally switched off during take off and landing, which, if we're honest, are probably when your anxiety will be at a peal

In theory, it's a great idea, in practice, I'm not so convinced.

Before you book your next holiday, contact the airline and see if they run a day course for anxious passengers, you'll be talked through every noise etc by a pilot whilst sat in a "classroom", and you'll probably be able to ask questions. I believe you end up being taken for a short flight too, though no duty free will be on offer.

If you can't do that, you may be better off either seeing a hypnotherapist or even downloading one of the many hypnosis tracks for fear of flying and listening to it every night over the weeks before the flight.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting idea to contact the airlines - I didnt know any of them offered this.

Andy

Andy

A quick Google throws up info of such courses being run by everyone from BA and Virgin to Easyjet

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you should mentioned Virgin as they are going to write a guest article for us.

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

The brain is a very very powerful tool - in some situations it can calm us down yet in other situations it can raise our panic levels to critical (or that is how it feels). Surely the key to challenging all phobias is to use/rewire the brain to help the situation rather then hinder?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
If an app can take just 10% off the suffering of phobias sufferers then it must surely be worth considering?