Breathing technique to combat a panic attack

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
First of all ensure you are not too hot by discarding some clothing if it is a hot day - if you are sweating this makes your heart beat faster and can make a panic attack much worse - creating a vicious circle.

Simple breathing technique:-

Open you mouth and slowly exhale as if you were sighing after hearing some really annoying news - this will relax your shoulders. Then close your mouth and inhale slowly through your nose which pushing out your stomach (it may take some time to perfect this process). Once you have a full breath pause for a while, it is up to you how long, and then exhale through your mouth while pulling your stomach in.

Continue this until you regain your composure. It is physically impossible to have a panic attack when breathing in this manner.

Last edited:
kelbel

kelbel

Excellent advice. I've also read that making the exhale longer than the inhale works well (eg. breathe in for the count of 3 - saying "One thousand, Two thousand, Three thousand...", then hold for 2 counts, and release for 5 counts. The exhale is supposed to be the most important part in this process, make sure you exhale slowly and completely.

Mark

Mark

As well as the physical benefits of this breathing technique it also focuses your mind away from your panic attack - a win win?

I was also told that it is physically impossible to have a panic attack when you use this breathing tecnique.

J

Jade

That’s so interesting and extremely helpful. Next time I start feeling an anxiety attack coming on I’m going to try this method. This may sound like a silly question but because it’s physically impossible to have a panic attack when using this technique does that mean it’s something that would only be effective as a panic attack was creeping up on you or would this also be effective in the middle of a full blown panic attack?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This technique will work when trying to avoid a panic attack or in the midst of a full-blown panic attack. It can be a difficult technique to perfect but once you are able to exhale and inhale in the correct manner you will feel much much calmer.