Any advice for someone suffering from Gymphobia?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
People may laugh but Gymphobia (or gym phobia) is a real issue for many people. Has anyone else been effected by this? If so what advice would you give?

F

Fightingback

I think we all have a degree of gym phobia when you see all of those toned bodies if we are only starting our journey. As for advice? I suggest taking some headphones, switching off, listening to your own music and just ignore everyone around you - works for me :)

H

Helprequired

Dont try and compete with anyone else - do it for yourself. There will always be people with toned bodies flaunting themselves in front of you but what kind of a person are they like inside? Once you are comfortable with who you are you are half way to a more healthy and enjoyable life :) Good luck!

F

Fightingback

There is a saying, until you are able to love yourself you will find it difficult in scenarios such as gyms where many people are slim, toned and able to wear the kind of figure hugging clothing many people can only dream of. If you are conscious of your weight, size or the way you look, it may not be down to issues with using the gym. It may be more of a self-confidence issue mixed in with a phobia.

L

LynnyB

Do you not think that society has made us more conscious of our looks as opposed to who we are? Just because someone has a toned body and is able to wear clothes many of us can only dream of, does that make them a better person than us? No!