After 10 years I overcame my fear of flying!

F

Fightingback

When I first started flying I really really enjoyed it - the thought of going on holiday and catching some sun at last. Then one day, in the middle of a number of panic attacks I suddenly could not fly, it terrified me. I waited 10 years and did nothing then I had to fly to a family event and once I stepped on the plane and took deep breathes, it vanished, the whole fear vanished. How?

I think I had a fear of enclosed spaces more than a fear of flying. I had managed to overcome this particular fear some months earlier and I think this helped me overcome my fear of flying. I can finally start to live again!

H

Helprequired

I think this is a problem with many other phobias - not understanding what brought it on and even, as in this example, what the actual phobia is!

Have you been on a plane since your successful journey?

L

LynnyB

For many people a phobia is the fear of the fear as opposed to the actual phobia - if thats makes sense :)

The human brain is very powerful and can be cruel at times - sometimes it just needs an overhaul, a rewiring if you ike.

Mark

Mark

People always say the fear of the fear is always worse - this post just shows that is correct!

Well done you for tackling your fear of flying head on - not sure I could have done that :cool:

F

Fightingback

Must admit you do feel proud of yourself if you can control/overcome a phobia - still need to concentrate on controlling it though as it can sometimes sneak up on you again. Especially when I am tired if that makes sense?

G

Getting_There

Can I ask why it took you 10 years to try and overcome your phobia challenge or had you tried before?

L

LynnyB

I think that only the person will know the right time to tackle their phobias (if ever). They may feel more comfortable with their home lives, maybe their career has changed or maybe they are in better overall health.

F

Fightingback

Can anyone else link their sudden fear of flying with an event in their life with no link to flying?

I read this article and it has made me think:-